Always striving...

...to be one step closer to heaven.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

What a beautiful thought...


I came across this picture the other day on Facebook. I don’t normally repost those pictures with words printed over them, but this one really spoke to me.



You see, I haven’t been enjoying life much lately. A year ago or so, I left what I thought was the job I had been growing up to do all my life. I was a teacher at a private school teaching the Microsoft Office Suite and how to handle the internet to high school students. Over the course of the seven years I taught at this school, I had to opportunity to be a part of the lives of HUNDREDS of amazing kids. Then one day, I found out that while I was hard at work investing in my students that I had worked myself out of a job. (Story for another day…really.)

I’ve had another job since then, but it wasn’t necessarily what I was wired to do. I took it because it paid the bills and provided insurance for our family. For personal reasons that have everything to do with this post but that I won’t go into now (or possibly ever), I don’t have that job anymore either.

So, here I am…unemployed now for three weeks. I’ve had a few interviews, but no solid job offer yet, and I have no job interviews on the calendar anytime soon. (Can you hear the bells and whistles from my pity party yet?)  I’m spending my days piddling around the house in between posting my resume to yet one more career site, applying for one more job that I’m fairly certain I’m not going to get, and playing with my overly hyper jack russell, Boomer. I think I may go crazy if something doesn’t come up soon. Yeah…I’ve been feeling a little sorry for myself.

But then, I saw that picture and read those words: “What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven’t happened yet.” It caused me to stop and pause for a moment and then another moment, and then I reposted it onto my FaceBook wall. It has stuck in my mind, so this morning, I changed my desktop background to this image and my cover photo on Facebook as well. The more I thought about this sentence, the more sense it makes to me.

Yes, I have had plenty of amazingly awesome days that I can reflect on as well, (again, stories for another day!) but when you're down in the valley, the amount of time you can see the sun is drastically shorter. I can go on living in the past, worrying about what I have or have not yet accomplished in my life. Or I can look ahead to the future in eager anticipation of what is yet to come.

All I can commit to is just for today, and maybe for a little while tomorrow, I will focus on what’s in store for me in the future. I can continue to wallow in my self-pity or I can choose to take a new perspective on my life and look to those days that have not yet come and eagerly anticipate what could possibly be the best days yet. Yes, that is what I will do today, and if this works out OK I'll keep it up for longer than that...I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment